Friday 19 April 2013

Happy Birthday

My blogging and approach to running our business has changed you know. It goes back to last year when I became paranoid about reaching the big four-oh. I’ve still got a couple of years to go yet but even so, I have a personal belief that if I haven’t achieved something significant by the age of 40, I probably never will.
To some extent I went a bit mad last year trying to achieve rapid growth by working lots of hours and putting in effort but didn’t include the rest of the team. It came to a point where I lost my way and even came close to quitting! On reflection, it was a good thing because once I stopped trying so hard, I could observe and learn.
Getting in the car as ‘just a driver’ lead to more sincere conversations with our customers and a re-discovery of enjoyment for what we do. It made me realise I would plough on with new ideas regardless of what others thought when I was younger. Now I’m getting older, there is recognition for sensitivity toward others.
Maybe I am reaching a stage in life where I appreciate leadership is required and it requires a strong and robust state of mind to take on the challenges a business will face? Leadership also needs a degree of objectivity to ensure you can see the woods for the trees. I thought it was just old age but apparently, it is known as maturity!