Friday 25 February 2011

Kisses All Round

The time is 19.24 as I arrive at an apartment block for 19.30. I’m booked to take four young ladies to a bar some 15 miles away. I send a text message saying ‘I'm outside’. Reply states “10 minutes, us girlies still getting ready”. “Ok, no rush” I respond. A quarter of an hour passes and the phone rings “We need a man, get inside!”

Usually, I stay with the car when meeting someone at their home address. It makes things easier and avoids potential delays. There is good reason for this logic because sometimes, if you leave the car, you never quite know where you will end up or what you will be asked to do!

I ascended the stairs and heard the reassuring cry “Don’t worry, we’ll get you out”. It sounded strange. I entered the apartment and the situation became clear. One of the ladies was in the bathroom with a locked door. The lock broke and now she was trapped inside. With a stud wall and outward opening aperture there was no opportunity of forcing the door! Everybody had tried to free the internal lock but it was definitely broken.

One of the girls rang a Fireman for advice but the door wasn’t moving. It left just one option and that was to go ‘through’ the door. Equipped with a small power drill and a saw, I began chain-drilling the panels. First the tie came off and then a top button had to be undone. I really wasn’t expecting this I thought! It was a long time since I’d called on my engineering skills but right now, I was on a mission and nothing could stop me (except the occasional muscle cramp).

Some 45 minutes later and with the final stroke of the saw, a rather large hole appeared. So too did the relieved young lady inside. At that moment, I became a hero and cheers could be heard all around. The girls then remembered they were late and within a flash I was back to being their chauffeur. I did however receive four kisses on the cheek at the destination and the crowd outside the bar looked very surprised!

Maybe they thought I was a lucky guy?

1 comment:

  1. its really very nice !!! After all a true chauffeur driver has to take customer's problems as his own.

    ReplyDelete