Monday 22 October 2018

A New Mercedes Benz


Last year when it became apparent our VAT scheme would need to change, it was also evident the existing VAT scheme would generate a surplus revenue in a relatively short space of time. Coupled with this were two ageing vehicles on our company fleet which would need changing. With this in mind it seemed like a good time to take up the offer of an extended test drive.

Not too far from where I live there is a Mercedes Benz showroom for commercial vehicles. One weekend I popped in to have a look and was offered the loan of a ‘Vito’ people carrier for almost a week. It seemed rude not to accept. If I am honest, it was also good fun to drive something a little larger than I would normally.

So what did I think? Well, it was extremely practical. It wasn’t too unwieldy and a vehicle that size has the potential to generate extra revenue. On the flip side, the test vehicle was somewhat basic with its plastic bumpers and steel wheels. It was some way off an executive standard too (even if my wife did spontaneously purchase a washing machine which we took home with us).

After a few days of driving the vehicle in different environments and seeing how it measured up as a people mover, it made sense to have something this size. It also made sense to have something with such reasonable running costs. So what did I say to the salesman when I took it back? “I like it and it makes sense so I have placed an order for a Mercedes V Class” which is something you can only buy at the car dealership.