Sunday 17 March 2013

Invested Interest

Week three of our new Duty Manager System and it has become challenging. The reason for this is two-fold. First, we had three fewer drivers to call on (due to holidays and career changes) and our Duty Manager was another driver off the road. Secondly, we have been unusually busy for this time of year.
 
Maybe the conclusion of projects before the Easter break spurred people on to travel but either way we are up a full fifty per cent on this time last year (and last year was a record). In some ways it makes me feel deeply satisfied when reflecting on the strategies we implemented in recent years.
 
I was once told “Always chase the money”. It was advice I disregarded immediately because my philosophy is different. Instead I prefer to focus on the long-term. Rather than considering a customer as a route to earn money one day, I think of a passenger as an investment in a pension fund.
 
It takes persistent contributions for a pension to develop wealth but over time it grows. Many great businesses started from humble beginnings like our own and I’m sure most owners endure financial sacrifice along the way but when things come good it only serves to make the taste of success all the more sweet.