Friday 18 February 2011

It’s The Culture That Is Different

It never ceases to amaze me how people ask the strangest things. Last year I met a Businessman at the airport and shortly after, he made a phone call then turned to me and said “Take me to the Circus”. I said “Ok” and proceeded with his request. You just have to play it cool sometimes and go with the flow.

On other occasions, I get asked about things that seem usual but if the passenger is not from the UK it could in fact be very unusual. Take for example a Japanese couple on a tour of north Wales visiting the castles. As we drove along we passed a low-loader carrying a static caravan.

The husband tapped me on the shoulder and asked in a stern but inquisitive voice “What… what is this”? Slightly confused and hoping I gave the right answer, I replied “Caravan”. The passenger also looked confused but proceeded “What for”? After a few seconds of thinking time I responded “Second home”.

Now, for anyone who has travelled along the A55 in north Wales will know, there are many caravan parks. This delighted my passengers because every time we passed one they declared proudly “SECOND HOME! SECOND HOME” and snapped pictures on their digital camera while giggling to themselves. No doubt all their friends in Japan also know - mostly because they filled two memory cards full of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment