Thursday 31 May 2012

On A Mission

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a feel good factor and how it can add a buzz to a business. It falls in line with my current thoughts which go back to when DrivenByQ was new in the market and what was different in our approach. We had no money, few resources, no systems and very little in the way of strategic planning but somehow we grew and grew quickly.

I’m not sure if all businesses go through an analysis of what they did in the early years to such a fine degree? Maybe they do, maybe they don’t but what I do know is that whatever worked for us back then was raw and instinctive rather than planned and carefully executed.

Perhaps having structure makes things more efficient and it reduces the risk of failure? It’s something I’ve been thinking about quite deeply. In the end, I have come to the conclusion that efficiency is an engineered function within a business and needs to be separated away from what an entrepreneur feels in their raw unadulterated enthusiasm.

Let’s face it, our business runs like a finely tuned Swiss watch but having that level of clinical excellence is boring. What we really need is an overwhelming desire to have an adventure - an adventure that everyone wants to be part of with some risks and excitement along the way. So, who is with me on a quest for success?