Wednesday 25 April 2012

The Feel Good Factor

The last couple of years at DrivenByQ have been a bit slow in some ways. Although our turnover has increased quite impressively, we haven’t had the growth in new customers that we were once accustomed to. Personally, I think one of the reasons is because we haven’t had a buzz like we used to have in the early years.

I suppose, I blame this on the fact we’ve had to rebuild our finances after the recession of 2009 and even 2010. We’ve needed to be carefully with our cash and very strategic on where we spent it – even to the point of being boring.


Being conservative is fine but inevitably it has an effect on morale (and people pick up on it). Thankfully, it has never caused us any real issues but I’ve been aware of it in the back of my mind. Gladly though, I think we are finally in a position to be a little bit more adventurous.

Historically, we have always paid ourselves (the business owners) as customers paid our invoices - sometimes waiting sixty day for some accounts to clear. As part of the wave of changes I am making this year, the first thing I have done is ensured that the people who own DrivenByQ are now be paid on the same day we send invoices – just like the rest of our team.

Bringing payments forward like this has delivered a lump sum of cash to the owners of DrivenByQ and generated a feel good factor. In addition we’ve integrated Google Maps in to our software. It has saved time in lots of areas and become a real novelty. Right now there is a new enthusiasm and excitement in our team - just like the good old days; and I have to admit. I like it!