Sunday 1 December 2013

If I Was An Executive Assistant – Part One

Sometimes I cringe when I see a driver representing a £multi-million business and they don’t have the first clue on etiquette or I know their car is not correctly insured. I ask myself who made the booking and do they realise how bad a job someone is doing? I often wonder if the person responsible for hiring the driver just didn't know what questions to ask?

If I was investigating a new (or existing) chauffeur supplier, the very first question I would ask is if they have an operators licence and if so, how many vehicles does it cover? The reason for this is that some smaller (one-man-band) operators will sub work to other drivers but if their licence doesn’t permit this, those drivers are not insured and neither is your passenger!

I would then ask the operator if they are registered under the Data Protection Act. If so, how do they manage their information – is it secure or do they leave it in a diary in a car with all the names, home addresses, telephone numbers and away dates of your key staff? Also, do they have a disaster management plan? What if the diary (or records) is lost, stolen, destroyed or even eaten by the dog? Will they still turn up on time? And what if the operator is taken ill or goes on holiday?

After the basic questions, I would then go on to ask about safety. How does the operator regulate the drivers hours and how much time off do their drivers take? Legally in the UK, there is nothing to stop a private hire driver completing a straight 36-hour shift. I know of people who will do it, especially if their prices are so low other drivers will not work for them. After all, how can you be sure a driver is not full of caffeine with the reaction speeds of a tortoise?